PARTY ON: the professional makeup rules guaranteed to keep you gorgeous this festive season.
Vichy’s expert makeup artist CLAIRE RAY knows a thing or two about makeup.
Check out part 1 of her 30 insider tips and tricks, and ensure you shine this party season!
1. Don't apply your make-up when you first wake up. It takes a while for your face to 'settle' and for the puffiness to calm down. So change your routine and do your make-up last.
2. Test your foundation colour on your jaw line (not the back of your hand); the correct colour will ‘disappear’ into your skin.
3. If your skin looks a bit sallow, use an iridescent powder over forehead, cheeks and eyelids for an instant pick-me-up.
4. Turn your flesh-toned eyeshadow into a multitasking product, as a highlighter on your chin, cheekbones, cupid’s bow, the bridge of your nose and inner corners of your eyes.
5. Exfoliate your skin with a small facial brush. This stimulates the blood supply, removes dead skin cells and gives your skin a healthy, pink glow.
6. Place cold metal spoons on your eyelids for a few minutes to tighten up the skin, before you apply make-up - it'll help reduce any puffiness.
7. Pink eyes are a tell-tale sign of a late night. A white kohl pencil is a miracle stick. Run along the inner rim of lower eyes, close eyes to transfer onto the upper eye rim and apply one more coat.
8. Buy a pack of eyelash curler sponges and replace them regularly to avoid damaging your lashes.
9. Make sure you remove any eye cream/ gels or serums from your skin before applying foundation. These can make your foundation patchy when you try to blend.
10. When you apply primer don't use too much, a 10p size dollop will be adequate. Allow 5 minutes for it to fully absorb.
11. Apply concealer with your fingertips; the warmth from your finger will help your concealer to blend seamlessly into your foundation.
12. It's very important to make sure your foundation has set before you apply powder. To make sure it has, gently press over with a tissue. The tissue will absorb any excess foundation/moisture from the skin, so you get a flawless finish.
13. If you are covering acne it is important to use a clean make up brush or sponge, so you’re not spreading any infections to other areas of the face.
14. Buy a pack of new, empty eyedropper bottles online and decant your liquid foundation into them. Keep them in your car/ at work/ in your purse etc. so you’re never without cover up.
Read part 2 here