Hydration is crucial to the wellbeing of your skin, no matter the age. Still, during menopause, dryness is one of the most common issue and happens regardless of the season. You’ll see that the main difference in the care that you need to provide your skin with, lays in the type of product and the recurrence of use.
Taking care of your skin during menopause is key
Hormone imbalance during menopause can worsen hydration of your skin. Sebaceous secretions decrease with age as well. If you have noticed dull complexion, roughness and your skin is more sensitive it means that you have to modify your skincare routine.
For once, sebum is a good thing, keep it coming!
Here are a few steps you can take to hydrate on a daily basis:
1. Use gentle cleansers that will protect your skin barrier function twice a day and try to avoid hot water.
2. Moisturize your face and body at least twice a day
3. Choose products that contain water-attracting ingredients like hyaluronic acid and glycerine.
4. Flaky, rough skin needs regular exfoliation as well because it may not absorb the hydrators that you are applying. The key is to remove the dead skin cells from the top layer. Either you can do it at home or you can also try in-office professional care like chemical peels, or microdermabrasion. Always use broad-spectrum sun protection products after exfoliation. Consult the best treatment for you with your dermatologist.
5. Consider living a healthier life! Smoking, alcohol, excessive tanning without sun protection worsen your skin condition and cause dryness.
6. Start using hydrating face mist or spray thermal water during the day and avoid the places where the air is dry. These water can do a lot for your skin while keeping it hydrated.
7. And, please, don’t forget to eat well. Drink suitable amount of water to provide enough hydration to your body. Try to include water-rich products and omega-3 fatty acids to your daily diet.
Key elements to remember
Hydrating is a must do. It’s the how to that matters the most.
Keys to less dryness:
- no perfume,
- no hot water,
- hydration twice a day, at least
- and a healthy lifestyle